Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Church of You

So how do you overcome a bully?

Steven R. Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, says we should “Begin with the end in mind.”

We can do that by following Former Congressman Ed Forman’s advice, and saying out loud and in the mirror every morning before work, "I am happy, I am healthy, I am terrific!" Heck, even while you’re at work, close your office door or step outside a few times during the workday and say it out loud then too. With a little faith, those words can turn your life around and end your days as a victim in a workplace bully's stranglehold.

Faith develops through repetitive affirmation of whatever it is you have faith in. If you are religious, for example, and attend church each Sunday to hear a sermon, your faith sustains and even grows a little each week as you receive information that is directly in line with your beliefs. Stop going to church and your faith likely falters. The same happens when we stop believing in ourselves.

As you head to the “Church of You” each morning and stand in front of the mirror to shout your personal affirmations (“I am terrific! I am great at my job! I will overcome the bully! I am not a helpless victim!”), your thoughts turn to faith in yourself. The more you say it, the more you feel it, the more you feel it, the more you believe it, the more you believe it, the greater your courage becomes, the greater your courage becomes, the closer you are to standing up for yourself in the eyes of the red-eyed bull.

No comments: